Friday, November 25, 2011

Sparkley Santa Ornament

Oh boy!
I love Christmas!!

I got the totally awesome Santa plate from Viva a couple of weeks ago and have been playing with it almost every day. I am soooo excited for Christmas!!

I make ornaments for my family members almost every year.
I say *almost* because while I have the best intentions of making them every year, there have been times that I haven't gotten them done (like last year)...
But this year, I've got a good start already. 
I really love making them for my kids and my nieces and nephews. 
They will all have an ornament collection when they grow up and have families of their own.

So, here's a super easy ornament. 
It's inexpensive to make, not a lot of work, and looks soooo pretty!!

Get your supplies:
Creative Paperclay
Brown ink (I used Ranger's Archival Ink in Coffee)
Red acrylic paint (I used Ranger paint)
Tacky Glue
Tan or beige paint (I used Ranger paint)
Stickles (I used Crystal)
Red glitter (I used Martha Stewart)
Beads and wire
Craft Knife
Something to roll the clay out with (I used a paint bottle)
Liquid Applique
Heat gun
Paint brush
Emery board
Krylon spray sealer

 Roll out some Creative Paperclay to about 1/4" thick. 
Ink up Santa with permanent ink and stamp onto clay.
 Cut out gently with craft knife. Set aside to dry. I let mine sit overnight.
Once it's good and dry, gently smooth any rough edges with the emery board.


Now string some wire with beads and twist the ends to create a loop.
Put a little Tacky Glue on the back of the ornament, near the top.
Put a little piece of Paperclay on the back of the ornament over the Tacky Glue.
Place the twisted wire on the wet clay, and smoosh the clay up over the wire.
 Place another small piece of clay over the wet clay and wire. 
Smooth it down.
Set aside and let dry.
 Now, paint Santa's hat red.
While the paint is wet, dump red glitter on it. 
Let sit a couple of minutes and tap off the excess.
 Use Liquid Applique to coat the trim and fuzzball on Santa's hat.
Heat with the heat gun to dry it and make it puff up.
Water down some tan paint and use your finger to rub lightly onto Santa's face.
Use Crystal Stickles and rub over Santa's beard, eyebrows, and hair with your finger.
Let it all dry, and spray with some clear sealer.

Here's your wiener Sam saying
"I've been good this year Santa!!"

No comments: